November 8, 2013
The 83-year-old, who is currently serving a 30-month jail term for sexually abusing 13 girls over a period of nearly 20 years, was charged with more historic sexual offences last month.
The latest claims relate to two alleged victims aged between 11 and 16 at the time of the offences.
He is said to have committed seven counts of rape against one girl between January 1976 and September 1978 in Manchester when she was aged 16 and under.
Hall is also accused of eight counts of rape and one count of indecent assault against a second girl between 1976 and 1981 at various locations in Manchester and Cheshire.
Two female prison officers ushered Hall out of a prison van with both hands chained together.
Another security guard in a fluorescent jacket stood behind him as he walked out into the rain.
The former BBC broadcaster appeared to be holding a paperback book which he handed to the security guard before being escorted into the underground cells of Preston Magistrates’ Court.
Standing in the dock Hall, dressed in a black suit, appeared unable to hear very well during the brief 12-minute appearance.
Asked to identify himself, he replied: ‘I beg your pardon?’
Judge Jane Goodwin then asked the former It’s A Knockout presenter to confirm his date of birth and he once again appeared confused as he replied: ‘I’m sorry?’
Hall then sat down as he listened to the fresh charges against him.
Hall did not enter any pleas to the charges and was remanded into custody.
District Judge Goodwin said the fresh allegations were ‘more serious’ and told Hall he would be sent back to prison to appear at Preston Crown Court on November 29.